"If something is boring after two minutes, try it for four. If still boring, then eight. Then sixteen. Then thirty-two. Eventually one discovers that it is not boring at all." - John Cage



4.17.2015

Catch Up

So I haven’t written a blog post in over a year. But before I get to a Diez Vista Race Report (which was the reason I felt compelled to write a new post in the first place), I feel it necessary to get a bit more into the buildup to the race. My running and fitness went completely sideways about a year ago, and it has been a long patient process to build to where I am with my running right now (which is to say very happy).

March 2014 – Raced the Chuckanut 50k to an unsurprisingly mediocre result given my health and training. Running: 33 Hrs.

April to July 2014 – There are a host of reasons, or excuses, but the long and the short of it is I gained weight (35 pounds!), lost fitness (most of it), and struggled all summer to run more than an hour pain free. I felt bummed to basically miss an entire “prime running season”; I knew missing out on it was the result of my own poor choices, and I resolved to start over from scratch. Running: 21, 20, 42, 31 Hrs.

August 2014 – A 5:30 run to Albert Edward the first week caused me enough suffering to realize I had been in serious denial about the state of my body. So I resolved to get my injury issues sorted out, and I started a new “training program” in the second week of the month. I would run only an amount each day that my body would allow me pain free. This turned out to be about 30 minutes a day for starters. By the end of August I was up to a whopping 50 minutes a day. It was tough to run such a small amount, but I was hungry to train smart. I would train strong, not vulnerable. But it would require patience. Running: 27 Hours

September 2014 – I started thinking about formalizing my training program, and decided I would take a different approach. I would value consistency above quality. Being able to run often, and recover well would drive my training. For me this meant reducing the frequency of “hard running” I would attempt relative to easy days. So far this approach has been working for me. Additionally in September I went to see Dr. Abe Avender at Island Optimal under the advice of many respected friends. Abe did a lot to help with my injury, and his input was invaluable in helping develop my cross training program and to address weakness and imbalances. At a peak weight of 195# at the start of the month, I also got serious about getting my weight back into racing shape. Running: 27 Hours. Weight Sept 1 – 195#

October to December 2014 – Patiently I kept increasing my training volume. My knee still wasn’t letting me run long (I didn’t run over 21k until the Westwood Solstice Marathon on Dec 21), but I was able to run every day, and gradually increase my volume. I kept consistent with cross training (climbing, and gym), and I started moving out of a base phase, and into a speed work phase. My goal for summer ultra running 2015 was to start the early 2015 season with a speed phase. I hoped by working on speed in the early season, I could carry some of it into my longer summer goal races. Running: 36, 38, 52 Hrs. Weight Oct 1 – 187# ; Dec 31 – 164#

January to March 2015 – Everything starting to come together with my training. Lots of volume, lots of elevation, and a decent amount of speedwork too. PB’s in the 10K (33:01), 12K (39:57) and HM (1:12:27). Running: 54, 55, 56 Hrs. Weight Jan 1 – 164# ; Mar 31 – 152#

2015 Racing Plans
July – Kneeknacker
August – Squamish 50

There’s lots more I want to eventually write about… how France came to be, my new “lots of easy running” training program, nutrition for ultra-races, race reports. But for now it will have to wait.

Jeremy

No comments:

Post a Comment