"If something is boring after two minutes, try it for four. If still boring, then eight. Then sixteen. Then thirty-two. Eventually one discovers that it is not boring at all." - John Cage



1.12.2014

2013 In Review


I am not exactly what you would call a prolific blogger. As with the road to hell, I have the best of intentions, and the least of time... or rather I haven't made this blog a priority. I would like all that to change. I would also like financial excess, but hey. No promises.

2013 did not yield the running results I hoped, but all in all it was a good year of hobby jogging. I ended 2013 strong, and look forward to pursuing some big goals in 2014 that will be sure to challenge me. More on that in another post.

Before blogging in 2014, it felt wrong not to mention a whole year, so here is a quick look at 2013 in photos.

Bliss - December 2013


I started 2013 in a bad place. Injured, and not having run since the end of October 2012, I had let myself get in a bad way. I was eating like my old obese self, bummed out, not exercising my sloth self in any way. I ballooned from 155-160# racing July through October, to 190# to start 2013. I felt embarrassed to be a sponsored athlete, and while still not running, was finding it hard to be positive.

But, I just kept digging, and eventually found my way out the bottom :D

After running up Mt Benson 74 times in 2012, I made my first summit in 2013 on April 30, SIX MONTHS since my knee injury. Oi!

First Summit of 2013 - April 30 with my best hobby jogging buddies
It sucks starting from square one with fitness. SLOW. LABOURED. UGH - how quickly we lose it. But honestly, I was just happy to be able to run again. Forget goals of being the fastest runner ever on the planet... just jogging was great. 

May 2
And I just kept plugging away. In May, we started exploring the excellent trails from Cameron Lake, leading up to Mt. Cokely, a run we would repeat with grins on our faces every time for the rest of the season. 

CPR Trail - Singletrack Bliss - May 10
Darren and I became friends with a Canada Goose that kept greeting us on Mt Benson in May. Darren named him Walter. 

Walter 

Previewing the Meet Your Maker 50 Course - May

Mt. Cokely with the Hobby Joggas - June

Old vs New
After two consecutive days of running "Bastion to Benson", a 42k route from sea level to the top of Benson and back. 

I did a lot of "no calorie" training in the Spring/Summer of 2013. Lots of 3-4 hour long runs with no calories. Just an experiment in trying to become efficient at burning fat.
KKNSTR 30 Mile Race Kit
Strathcona Park - A nice 6 hour long run the week after KKNSTR.
Strathcona Park - July

Mt Albert Edward - July

Teen Wolf scrambling to the top of Mt Rundle in Banff - August
To Summit of Mt Rundle 2,948m ; Wannabe FKT - August

Ha Ling - Canmore, AB - August

TEEN WOLF!


Hitch Hiking to the Skyline Trail - August

DNF my second ultra at Meet Your Maker. My first DNF was Frosty Mountain in 2011. The season just never shaped up the way I had hoped. C'est la vie.
PRE - DNF. I blame Giardia from th Rockies, and being a big baby.
 Started to get my mojo late in the season. This shot was after setting an FKT for running from Westwood Lake parking lot to the summit of Benson and back.
FKT - Westwood Lake - Benson 1:21:27 - October
Thanksgiving AM jog - pre ankle sprain
This outing to Cokely with Darren was incredible, even after I sprained my ankle causing me to miss a bunch more jogging.
Cokely Summit - Thanksgiving
 The ankle had seen better days.
Ankle Oopsie - October
 Post ankle injury, a solid race at Stewart Mountain. I ran the second fastest time in the 10 year history, although I don't know about course changes so this may not be as cool as it seems :-)
2nd Place - Stewart Mountain 10 Miler - December
Selfie - December

Sideways Snow - December
Darren Seaman, coming via headlamp to join me for a sunrise.
So good.  - December

All in all, it was more good than bad, and I can't wait for what 2014 brings. Thanks to my family, friends, sponsors, and all that jazz. 

See you out there soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment